Re: Mini 10v

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 09:39:14PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>>> Considering the class of machine this is (highly portable,
>>> personal machine) it is highly unlikely that it would ever needs a
>>> resident MTA.

> Odd.  My highly portable, personal laptop runs an MTA (which doubles as an
> MDA) that I use for sending both local and remote mail.  The MTA just uses my
> VPS as a smarthost for remote mail, but it handles local mail so I can get
> notifications from cron, anacron, at, etc.

    And yet I fail to see why this is directed at me.  Also I don't get this
fetish for having mail delivered locally.  nullmailer works just fine
forwarding to a smarthost.  Add in an alias for root@localhost to your remote
mail and the mail is now somewhere you normally get mail.  Local just adds to
the workload needlessle.

> All UNIX and Linux boxes should have an MTA.  It doesn't always need to listen
> on 25 or 587, but both postfix and exim4 support that.

    Which is what "non-resident" means.  If the program isn't resident in
memory it can't very well be listening to ports, now can it?  Which is what I
told the OP.  Dunno why everyone's bouncing on my case.  I'm not the one who
wants to deliver local.  I've already got my stuff sorted out, thanks.