Re: Packaging gcc

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:47:28PM +0530, shampavman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So Im done with my test package and want to change a few things in gcc..
> But I have a slight problem ..

playing with gcc is not some novice thing I can answer.

> dpkg -l |grep gcc
> root@wrapster:~/packaging/gcc/gcc-defaults-1.78ubuntu1/debian# dpkg -l

You are using ubuntu package .... sigh. Why arent you using debian
source.  If you want to incorporate something from ubuntu, make diff to
study difference first.

> So its already there

Maybe ...

> but when I try to remove it .. I get errors as a
> whole lot of dependencies are there.. if that be the case how do i
> compile the source?

I do not want to speculate but ubuntu package was packaged with some
rational to chose some particular dependency requirements.  It may not
be satisfied by the Debian.  This is very true when it comes to beast
like gcc.   Play with dependency defining files to work around issues to
remove package.

> So i cannot remove it nor can i install the new ones.. How do i go about
> making my changes now?

Read basics at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.ja.html#_recovery_from_a_broken_system

I think you probably have easier time reading all of my tutorial on
debian http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/

Osamu

PS: If you find errors in my Debian Reference, let me know.