Re: help in resolving error,building a .deb pkg ;newbie!!

On Monday 21 September 2009 15:27:11 shampavman wrote:
> Im new to .deb packaging.. and learning it as a test I wanted to modify
> the alien pkg such that it automatically creates a symlink from
> /usr/bin/alien to /usr/sfw/bin/alien.. and thus i changed the rules file
> appropriately... but when I do a build this is what I get
[...]
> /bin/ln -s /usr/bin/alien /usr/sfw/bin/alien

/bin/ln is not the easiest beast to understand, but this creates the symlink
"/usr/sfw/bin/alien" with the contents "/usr/bin/alien".  That is, a symlink
from /usr/sfw/bin/alien to /usr/bin/alien, which is the reverse of what you
want.

The order or arguments is ln is the same as the order of arguments to cp.  The
new file you want created is the second argument.

> Now I just started with it and want to learn.. can anyone direct me to the
> mistakes i'm making!!

IIRC, you shouldn't be making the filesystem changes "live".  Anything you
want installed by the package should be placed under ./$binary_package_name
relative to debian/rules.  I'ven't finished my first package yet though.