Re: Is there any way to turn off IPv6 in the stock Debian 2.6.30 kernel without recompiling?

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:52, Rick Thomas <rbthomas55@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2009, at 10:02 PM, Mark wrote:
>
>> Rick Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> The 2.6.30 kernel seems to have ipv6 turned on and compiled-in -- i.e.
>>> not a module.
>>> Does this make it impossible to turn off IPv6?  Or am I missing
>>> something...
>>
>> Had the same issue a while back already, but after a quick google search I
>> found something that was similar to what I did then.
>>
>> alias net-pf-10 off
>> alias ipv6 off
>>
>> Those two, and jam them in a /etc/modprobe.d/00ipv6disable or something
>> along those lines. Don't forget to reboot.
>
> Interestingly,
>
> This didn't work on the Squeeze system, but it worked fine on a Lenny system
> running a stock Lenny 2.6.26-2 kernel, which seems to have been generated
> with ipv6 as a module.

[reformated to bottom post, please don't top post]

That is beacuse those two lines go in /etc/modprobe.d/ which deals with
modules (module probe). So they have no effect when it is not a module.

> Equally interestingly,
>
> The Lenny system had no file called /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/*/disable_ipv6
>
> Is this new with 2.6.30 (Squeeze) kernels?  Or is it a feature of having
> ipv6 compiled in?

That I don't know.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers