How to install updated terminfo entry in home directory?

I have been having DEL/delete/backspace problems, the cause of which I
have traced to the following bug report:

In summary, version 5.5-5 of libncurses5 (and libncurses5-dev) is
installed on this system, it has an incorrect terminfo entry for
xterm-color, and I have no superuser privileges to upgrade it.

Can somebody please tell me how I can get the latest Debian-compatible
terminfo entry for xterm-color and install it in my home directory?