Re: modifier keys stop working [second try]

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 20:13:17 -0400, Steve Kleene wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:34:48 -0400, I wrote:
>
> > I am repeatedly losing modifier-key function.
> >
> > I run an up-to-date Lenny system and use the window manager fvwm (2.5.26-1)
> > so that I can mostly work from the command line.  I also have a virtual XP
> > machine (VM, VMware 1.06).
> >
> > If I use the VM for a few minutes (usually Photoshop, sometimes Acrobat), I
> > find that SHIFT, CTRL, and ALT no longer modify what I enter in the Linux
> > window.  For example, CTRL-c, ALT-c, and SHIFT-c all just send `c'.
>
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:37:01 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West replied:
>
> > I think you should be running
> >   xmodmap -e "shift = Shift_L"
> > instead. Try that and see then if it assigns Shift_L to the shift modifier.
>
> That gave an error, but this succeeded:
>   xmodmap -e "add shift = Shift_L"
>
> and in fact restored shift function nicely.  An analogous line for the control
> function works too, but this:
>   xmodmap -e "add alt = Alt_L Meta_L"
>
> failed with
>   xmodmap:  commandline:1:  bad add modifier name 'alt', not allowed
>   xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.
>
> "add meta" didn't work either.

xmodmap -e 'add shift = Shift_L Shift_R'
xmodmap -e 'add control = Control_L Control_R'
xmodmap -e 'add mod1 = Alt_L Meta_L'

I would run "xmodmap -pm" before vmware screws up the modifier keys and
then write a short shell script that restores the modifier map to
exactly that state. Put the script in your $PATH and call it whenever
you need to fix the modifiers. If you find that vmware puts some other
nonsense into the modifier map then you can use xmodmap "clear ..."
commands in your script to start from a clean slate before you add the
correct keysyms for a given modifier.

          Florian   |