Re: Reproducible filesystem corruption in lenny

2009/7/29 Josh Kelley <joshkel@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Sven Joachim<svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
[snip]
>> There had been cases of USB memory sticks with manipulated controllers
>> produced by fraudulent manufacturers.  These sticks reported a higher
>> capacity than they really had.  They never reported read or write
>> errors, but once you filled more than half of the reported capacity, all
>> writes would go to the same sectors, producing massive data and
>> filesystem corruption.  I had bought such a scam product myself, and it
>> cost me many hours of grief.
>
> Very interesting.
>
> I tested one of the problematic drives under Windows with FAT32 and
> had no problems filling the entire contents, so that doesn't seem to
> be what's happening here.

Just to be clear here: When using one of these fraudulent drives
filling it up will produce no errors. Reading it back will show
corruption once passed the actual size of the device.

Your comment didn't mention whether you were able to successfully read
back the data after it was written in Windows.

cheers,
Owen.