Re: Back up routines

* Jon Dowland <jon+debian-user@alcopop.org> [090728 06:42]:
> From my experience, I would discount anything which relies
> on hard link trees. That means a lot of rsync-based
> solutions, including rsnapshot. Apart from not being a 1:1
> backup (you lose hard links!), the filesystem metadata
> storage explodes for any reasonable sized filesystem and
> any reasonable frequency of backup. I currently use
> rdiff-snapshot.

I've been trying to decide between dirvish & rdiff-backup. I read
something [1] arguing in favor of dirvish, citing it's advantage of
having images that are complete file systems. But dirvish does use
hard links, so the issue of such a backup not being exactly 1:1 gives
me some pause. I'm wondering if the archfs [2] you mentioned helps
address the "complete file system" issue.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/plug@lists.pdxlinux.org/msg00758.html
[2] http://code.google.com/p/archfs/

John

--