Re: Back up routines

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:02:06AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2009-07-28 09:18, Eric Gerlach wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >Sure.  Let's go with 1TB for $90.  Now I have to make sure the client brings
> >the drive in, backs up, and takes it home every day.  Try explaining to them
> >why that isn't worth the $3/mo that that Amazon charges them.  You won't be
> >getting paid for that consulting advice, that's for sure.
> >
> [snip]
> >
> >JungleDisk isn't about HD failure backup.  It's about off-site backup, while
> >being painless for the person using it.
>
> Woe is fricking me!
>
> My granfather and his accountant were alternately bringing home 13"
> disk packs 30 years ago.  They've obviously got newer hardware now
> (tape drives), and he's passed on, but the blazingly simple task is
> still the same: bring your important data off-site every night.
>
> It's just Something You Do.

s/do/used to do/

Sure, your grandfather did it, but give any small-business owner these two
choices:

1. Every day, bring this drive in, plug it in, run this program, then take it
home at night; or

2. Pay Amazon $3/mo and don't worry about it;

and I bet over 80% of them choose #2.  They'll say "The time it takes me to do
that for one week is worth more than $3, let alone for the whole month!".  The
ones who choose #1 don't value their time enough, IMO.

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students