Re: Back up routines

On Monday 27 July 2009 09:59:15 Girish Kulkarni wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, AG wrote:
> > Thanks for the many suggestions of applications and approaches.  The
> > next step for me is to take each one and do some further research
> > and make a decision.
>
> Nobody mentioned Unison?  I've been using it for backups for last two
> years.  It is well-documented and simple.

I was wondering the same thing myself.  Since this is a home environment, I'm
not concerned with backing up the state of the system.  I'm only concerned
with saving my data - documents, pictures, email, etc.  I have a small server,
a portable hard drive, my laptop and my desktop.  I keep a copy of my data on
all four, synced via Unison.  My server and desktop are Linux, my laptop runs
Windows (company machine, no choice) and Unison runs on both and syncs them
seamlessly.