Re: Back up routines

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:51:31 +0200
Johan Grönqvist <johan.gronqvist@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> AG skrev:
> > Thus, can I please have a few recommendations for a backup routine that
> > is safe for dummies (i.e. me) and is low maintenance that I can just
> > leave to run according to a cron job once (or twice) a week?  It would
> > be backing up to my former IDE HDD (now in an enclosure) via an USB.
>

> I know it is considered insufficient, as another poster wrote, but I use
> rdiff-backup to backup my home directory in a manner similar to what you
> describe, and I am pleased so far.

I do the same, with rdiff-backup and rsnapshot, a similar tool.  I use
an external USB drive, which I usually keep in a different, albeit
nearby, building, and an old headless system, which is in a different
state (I'm backing up a laptop, and I travel between the two locations
relatively frequently).

Celejar