Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:35:29AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 4A5F532A.8000403@gmx.net>, Dirk wrote:
> >Jochen Schulz wrote:
> >> Dirk:
[snip]
> >You suggest that everyone compiles X11 him-/herself now?
>
> No, just those that refuse to accept the package maintainers' decisions.
> That's always been true of every Debian package.
>
> >How about that package maintainer just turns a dependency back into a
> >recommendation to make /everyone/ happy? (Did I suggest that before?)
>
> From what I understand, X will run fine without HAL.  In that case, I agree
> with you.  Depends is for packages that are *technically* *required* to run;
> Recommends is for packages that add additional features (including advanced
> configuration or automation).
>
> "Depends" is *NOT* meant for "strong" recommendations.  The package
> maintainer(s) is(are) in the wrong, but they are still the maintainer.  I
> don't have the resources to maintain X.org packages for Debian, so I accept
> what is given for the cost I can bear.  I would be willing to test X.org
> packages that don't Depend on HAL if someone is putting forth the resources
> to maintain them.

Problem with this attitude is that back in the day, if linus had said
that, sorry I can't maintain an entire distro, but microsoft can and
therefor I should be happy with what i have, we would not be here today.

Dirk has his right to object and as you have pointed out he might have
some grounds to do it.

HAL has been a pain for me, because of my laptop and my need to attach
things to the laptop whilst its on, thus hal mount things all over the
place and does things the system wasn't doing before.

As for the efi structure its a pain.

To me the "depends: hal" is the same as saying you need the intel gpu
driver when you install X

--
bit, n:
	A unit of measure applied to color.  Twenty-four-bit color