Re: dpkg --set-selections and aptitude

 Jochen> Do I get it right that you are doing it basically the same way
 Jochen> but just use 'aptitude install' instead of 'apt-get
 Jochen> dselect-upgrade'?

yes

 Jochen> If yes, this puzzles me even further since I did the same as
 Jochen> you but when I run 'aptitude install' aptitude still wants to
 Jochen> remove hundreds of packages.

well, I first install the base system e.g. current testing, then inject
the package list and then issue aptitude install

 Jochen> Btw, you have earned yourself a few useless-use-of-cat-awards
 Jochen> on your page. :)

hehe ... well, yes and no ... if I do the command line guru (although
that move ain't fancy) I get emails asking me why confuse readers with
such rather fancy commands. So, having this site, it makes me feel a bit
like a politician ... you just can not make everybody happy no matter
what you do.