Re: Uptimes - any guidance?

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 08:30:01PM +0100, AG wrote:
> I am just curious whether or not there is any guidance/ advice on how
> long uptimes should be allowed to be run, or whether it is wise to shut
> down and reboot?
>
> I'm thinking "wise" as from the perspective of the system and its
> overall functioning, etc.

It's sometimes a good idea to reboot after installing updates, but
most of the time you can find out what is still using the old files
with lsof and restart those processes. Only when you can't figure it
out and keep getting the message "/usr is busy" when doing a remount
/usr -o remount,ro after updating, you may want to reboot.

Doing that, I've seen the uptime going over the limit of the counter
some time after 435 days; it starts over when the limit is reached. I
don't know what the limit is, 512 days maybe?

Hoewver, thanks to the poor quality of SATA disks and eventually other
hardware you get nowadays, a long uptime can be hard to reach.