Sendmail to send mail only, using MX records

I have sendmail installed on etch, but not running as a daemon. When I do:

# echo "Test" | /usr/lib/sendmail foo@bar.com

the logs show this:

Jun 21 11:13:51 debian sendmail[3924]: n5LFDpSS003924: to=foo@bar.com,
ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
pri=30005, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred:
Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

How can I tell /usr/lib/sendmail to do an MX lookup on bar.com and
connect to that server, instead of connecting to localhost?

I realize my command above has other errors, but if I can solve the
MX-lookup issue, I'm sure I can get everything else working.

I also realize I'll have to run "sendmail -q -v" regularly (via cron?)
to flush any stuck messages.