Re: Rogue Filename - Can't Do A Thing With It

On May 22, 2009, at 12:52 AM, Kent West wrote:

Hal Vaughan wrote:

On May 21, 2009, at 8:05 PM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

2009/5/20 Hal Vaughan <hal@halblog.com>:
Recently I started getting errors from rsync on a machine I don't
tend to
have to log on to very often.  I checked the bad directory and get
this:

[hal@scarecrow:threshNet]$ ls -l reportX
total 0
?--------- ? ? ? ?                ? reportX/2009-raw?@?

<snip/>

[hal@scarecrow:threshNet]$ rm reportX/*
rm: cannot lstat `reportX/2009-raw\237@\037': No such file or directory

I guess it will not work because "rm" doesn't work but you could try
"find . -type f -delete". Another command to try is "unlink".

Thanks for the ideas.  Tried both, here's the output for find:

[hal@scarecrow:ReportX]$ find . -type f -delete
find: ./2009-raw?@: No such file or directory

Got a similar message for unlink.  Basically everything treats it as
no file there.

How about "mc"?

Tried that, originally on ssh, from my iMac, but there was an issue because the iMac remaps the function keys. I know there's a way to turn that off, but I was going to have to re-attach a keyboard and screen to that computer anyway to run fsck, so I just waited to try it from a direct keyboard instead of remotely.

MC didn't do anything the others didn't do.

What did work was that fsck detected illegal characters in the filename, so the first "?" (at least the first one) may have been unprintable. However, when fsck restored the filename, it had most of what I think was the original name, which was a lot longer. So my best guess is that the filename was corrupted and contained characters like backspaces in it.

If this had been in my DOS 3.3 or ProDOS days, I'd have take out a sector editor and examined the file name that way and just altered it by hand. Sometimes I miss the simplicity of my old Apple //e.

Thanks for the idea, though,  The help is appreciated.

Hal