new to list, new to debian, new to linux

hello all.  i just installed debian tonight next to win xp.  they seem to play well together.  i was trying to setup the bug report and found that i can't sudo into root.  i can get into the synaptic package manager with the root password and this has me a bit confused why i can't login as root in the terminal with sudo.  is there another command that i can try to do this?

also i would like to update my system.  would i: apt-get update and then: apt-get install to do this?

any help would be appreciated, but please keep your responses simple as i am trying to learn a new os and am in the process of migrating away from windows.

cheers,
dwain

--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God.  " - Kahlil Gibran