Re: Rogue Filename - Can't Do A Thing With It

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 07:39, Hal Vaughan <hal@halblog.com> wrote:
> Recently I started getting errors from rsync on a machine I don't tend to
> have to log on to very often.  I checked the bad directory and get this:
>
> [hal@scarecrow:threshNet]$ ls -l reportX
> total 0
> ?--------- ? ? ? ?                ? reportX/2009-raw?@?
>
> At this point this is the only file in the directory.  Originally the
> directory was "report" but I changed it to "reportX" and moved all the other
> files out of that directory and into the new one (since my rsync cron job
> only backs up specific directories).  If there are more files in that
> directory, I get just the file names, but this rogue file shows up in the
> listing with the directory name first -- every time.  I've tried this:
>
> [hal@scarecrow:threshNet]$ rm reportX/*
> rm: cannot lstat `reportX/2009-raw\237@\037': No such file or directory
>
> I get similar error messages from attempts to chmod or mv the file.  I can't
> move or delete the parent directory because I get similar error messages.
>  The directory name included in the file listing changed when I changed the
> directory name with mv.
>
> Just as a whim, I ran Konqueror and it didn't see the file there at all and
> wouldn't delete the containing directory ("reportX"). I didn't expect it to,
> but thought it wouldn't hurt to try.
>
> While it likely does not matter, this file is on a functioning RAID1 device.
>
> Is there any way I can get rid of this file?
>
> Thanks for any help on this!

For hard to type file names, I have a line in my .inputrc:

Control-o: menu-complete

Then you can press ctrl-o repeatedly to cycle through file names. If you
can type the beginning of the name, it cycles through only the names
that start with whatever you typed. I have found it very useful for some
Japanese file names.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers