Re: Aptitude fails with broken package

> Removing wx2.8-headers ...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 2096, in <module>
>    main()
>  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 2090, in main
>    rv = action.run(global_options)
>  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1550, in run
>    pkg.read_version_info()
>  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 804, in read_version_info
>    raise PyCentralError, "package has no field Python-Version"
> __main__.PyCentralError: package has no field Python-Version
> dpkg: error processing wx2.8-headers (--remove):
>  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 2096, in <module>
>    main()
>  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 2090, in main
>    rv = action.run(global_options)
>  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1386, in run
>    pkg.read_version_info()
>  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 804, in read_version_info
>    raise PyCentralError, "package has no field Python-Version"
> __main__.PyCentralError: package has no field Python-Version
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  wx2.8-headers

It looks like one of the maintainer scripts for package removal is
failing. One way you can fix this (not very tidy, but it will stop the
errors) is to edit/remove/rename the failing maintainer script.

I think (based on the message above), that this is the file that you
need to edit/remove/rename:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/wx2.8-headers.prerm

And by edit, I mean add something like "exit 0" near the start of the script.