install proprietary nvidia driver without xorg.conf?

I thought I'd try the proprietary nvidia driver (currently using 'nv'),
so I've been reading through the how-to on the wiki here:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

I'm a little concerned, though, that it might be out-of-date (for one,
because it keeps talking about Etch), especially given the changes in
xorg.  Specifically, step 3:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#ConfigureXtousethenvidiadriver

It says for Lenny you have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to load "glx"
module and remove "dri" or "GLCore" modules, under the "Module" section;
and that you need to change the driver (from "nv" to "nvidia") under the
"Device" section.

My xorg.conf has no module section and the "Device" section is only:

        Section "Device"
                Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        EndSection

I thought HAL had taken over some of the functions formerly handled in
xorg.conf, but there's no mention of that on the wiki doc.

So what exactly is the procedure for installing the proprietary driver
now?

--
Michael M.