Re: swapfile

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:09:48PM +0200, steef wrote:
> hi list,
>
> starting up lenny, my machine hanged on 'activating swapfile swap' (or
> something like that)
>
> is there a generally known reason for a computerstart hanging on
> activating a swapfile?

If the same disk already had your root filesystem mounted, then you
can assume the disk spun up and was at least partially working.  It's
possible that there was a bad block in the swap area that the disk
was getting stuck reading.  But if that was the case you should see
disk errors.

Is it possible it was sticking on the startup task immediately after
activating the swapfile?

> smrtctl told me the hd is ok (for what that is worth??)

I've had plenty of duff disks report just fine with smartctl.  Take
it with a big pinch of salt!

Regards,
Roger

--