Re: What is the preferred way to install packages from testing/unstable in stable?

Harry Rickards wrote:
On 05/17/09 09:40, Aniruddha wrote:

I would like to install the latest version swfdec-mozilla (because it
offers autoplay). I intent to track stable as closely as possible. As
far I can tell there are four possibilities to achieve this:

1) Temporary enable testing/unstable repositories and install the program
2) Download *.deb from packages.debian org
3) Use apt-pinning
4) Compile from source, this requires option 1 to be enabled.

I am interested to learn the best method to install a newer package
while remaining as close (compatible) with stable as possible. Thanks
in advance!

You could use backports.org. It doesn't look as though they have
swfdec-mozilla, but if you want to install any other packages from
testing/unstable you can either download the deb's from
http://www.backports.org/ or add
'deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free'
to your sources.list. You'll then need to update ('aptitude update') as
usual, and specify to install from backports for the package you want.
e.g, 'aptitude -t lenny-backports install package-you-want' Hope that
was of some help.

- --

Thanks for the help! Backports is indeed a good option for some packages. Off course not all packages can be available in backports and therefor I wonder what is the best way to proceed. Or more specifically which of aforementioned 4 options is preferred when you want a package in testing/unstable that is not in backports?