Re: Help with Flash

Mark Allums wrote:
Marc Shapiro wrote:
Mark Allums wrote:
flashplugin-nonfree in Sid is working again. I don't think it has any other Sid dependencies. Remember, if your internet connection is not always-on, that it is just an installer, and it still needs to download the player from Adobe.

I've already installed Flash directly from the Adobe site, so the installer won't do anything for me. I thought that, with true Mozilla and Flash direct from Adobe, that Flash should work. I shouldn't need anything else. Unfortunately, it does not. Does anyone else have Flash working with Mozilla Firefox (not Iceweasel)?

Try uninstalling everything flash-related, even swfdec, and so forth, then installing Sid's flashplugin-nonfree.

However, you may need to copy the plugin .so manually into the Firefox plugin directory. If Iceweasel is installed, you can find it there.

Installing the Adobe way has never worked for me. I have always needed the Debian way.

All the installer does is download and unpack the file from adobe and copy it to the appropriate directories. I already have the new libflashplayer.so and I have it in /usr/local/lib/firefox/plugins/ Firefox recognizes that it is installed and starts to load the flash video. Then it hangs. Using the installer from Sid will simply download another copy of the file and place it in a directory that is incorrect for me, so that I can copy it to where it already is. I have already downloaded the .deb for Ubuntu from the Adobe site, thinking that maybe there was a problem with the .tar.gz file, but I get the same results. I don't see where having the Sid installer download the same ..tar.gz file that I already have is going to make a difference.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com