how to get numdisplay to work

we are using python-pyfits to try to work through a scipy tutorial:
http://www.scipy.org/wikis/topical_software/Tutorial

it requires import numdisplay, but there is no python-numdisplay on
debian (as there is on fedora, for instance).

on the web we can get numdisplay, but it produced this same error:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/numdisplay-wont-display-anything-in-debian-720425/#post3515151

unfortunately, there isn't a solution on that forum, so i was wondering
if anyone has any suggestions.

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's