strange app start-up slowness

using lenny, some apps particularly gnome-terminal starts slowly
1s or more - new tabs here can take nearly 2s.

emacs takes 1-2s on initial startup and then about 1s afterwards.

(firefox starts slowly but new instances appear very quickly - so not a
problem.)

it is peculiar because the behaviour isn't consistent.

the machine is a compaq presario sr1920nx (amd64), with 512M (2 matched
256M) ram. graphics card is nvidia ge-force 6150 128M, but the fan is
broken - seems to work fine though. we run compiz, but metacity isn't
any faster.

running tops with out any apps open show memory usage at 494M without
any applications being open.

gnome-terminal is the biggest problem and i couldn't find anything all
over the net about startup slowness.

also, sometimes exiting the system (restart or shutdown) can take
several minutes just to get out of the desktop screen (though things
seem to speed up if i ctrl-alt-F1 into a terminal) - sometimes it
happens within a few seconds.

any ideas as to why gnome-terminal is so slow?

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's