Re: debiantutorials.org seeks input and new blood

> On a 650Mhz with 384 MiB RAM laptop, Windows 98 was NOT "flying" by any
> stretch of the imagination.. it was.. hmm.. tolerably sluggish. Unless
> you went crazy & started opening windows by the handful, of course.
>
> If you did, MTBF was about two hours.

I have seen it run very well on much less hardware, though the machine
was not networked. I do agree about the stability. I think that they
reset that machine at lunch break as a preventative measure, ie, four
hours of uptime at most!

>> it makes me wonder why Debian is sometimes sluggish on 512 MiB
>> machines with >1 GHz procesors.
>
> Stop wondering and start thinking.
>
> :-)
>
> You must be using one of the M$ Windows clones as your "desktop".

KDE 4.2 at the moment, which is acceptably quick. KDE 3.5.10 on the
same hardware (2 GB RAM, 2 GHz dual core processor, 7200 RPM sata
drive) was sluggish enough to be annoying.

> Well, if you find it unbearably slow, you must upgrade your hardware.

Surely 640k is more than enough for anyone!

> Else, take the consequences like a man or switch back to the linux
> console.

I cannot open the complex OOo documents that I need on the console.
I'd love an ncurses interface to Zim, though, and I might write it
when the Python port is done. I do occasionally browse the web in
lynx, though! I really do not like the more modern console browsers.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il