Re: why fake raid on motherboards?

Stephen Liu wrote:

--- Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

- snip -

Only certain editions of Windows can boot from soft raid, and none of

the consumer versions.  Just the server/enterprise ones.

One can use fake/soft raid with cheap add-in cards, like the stuff Highpoint does with their low-end cards. The advantage is, if your motherboard fails, you can transfer the card to a new motherboard. Since the cards are relatively cheap, you can get more than one, and thus keep a spare around in case the card fails. Also, some brands maintain compatibility with the older cards in the same family, so you may be able to upgrade the card without reformatting the drives.

I ran Highpoint RAID card 7~8 years ago.  It was termed as Software
RAID dislike Adaptec RAID card.  The latter is termed as Hardware RAID
card but very expensive.  It worked without problem.  Later I found not
much advantage on running RAID.  Therefore I ceased running RAID
anymore.

Highpoint was just an example. There are other choices. Also, the software RAID cards were the point. Highpoint makes both soft and hardware RAID cards. Take your pick. The soft cards have uses. Above is one of them.

Some RAID versions do not perform very well on soft RAID. I would only use RAID 0, 1, or 10 with soft RAID. If you used soft RAID 5, and it is more than about 30% used, it will give lousy performance.

I don't run Windows either.  I can find the replacement on almost all
proprietary software running on Windows.  What I can't find is the
Windows java engine on IE.  Some stupid websites still request visitors
running Windows IE to browse their sites.

B.R.
Stephen L