Re: RAID5 (mdadm) array hosed after grow operation (there are two of us)

Alex Samad wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:03:38PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
I just got badly bit by this. I had root on lvm on md (RAID 1). After one of the component drives died, lvm came back up on top of the other component drive - during boot from initrd - making it impossible to rebuild the RAID array (the component drive with all the data was already mounted).

you can change lvm to look at only md devices and not the sd* or hd* -
depends on your setup.

I am guessing that lvm looked at the raw disk's because they didn't form
a md
learned this just a little bit too late, as well as the bit about needing to generate a new initrd

basic gist of what happened was, when I installed a new drive, and rebuilt the mirror (from a live cd), the drive with the data was overwritten by the new drive, sigh... good thing I made a copy first - all I lost was time :-)
Learned my lesson though - no real reason to have root on lvm - it's now on 3-disk RAID 1.

all ways thought this, KISS
absolutely - when I forget, is when I mess up (I find my sig line has been particularly appropriate of late)

Miles