Re: Installing Sid

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:59:04 +0100, Lisi Reisz posted:

> I am planning to install Sid on a test machine.  I may set up a dual or
> triple boot with other distros I want to look at, so being able to control
> the partitions is important.
>
> Googling, and searching the Debian site, seem to suggest that the best way
> of going about this would be to download a daily build of the installer
> and install from it; then immediately after installation, edit the
> sources.list to replace testing with unstable, aptitude update, (aptitude
> upgrade?), aptitude dist-upgrade.
>
> All comments and advice welcomed!

That looks like the correct method Lisi.

I would advise that you set up partitions for the OSs that you want to
test at the beginning and leave them blank until you use them but you can
always repartition later if that suits you better. Probably 10G is
sufficient for each test partition, you aren't going to be saving a lot of
important files in your ~homes. You might even want to dedicate a
partition for "backup" so you could have an easy online backup for the
times you "trash" your test system while trying to "fix" it, just restore
from backup and try again. ;-)

Are you familiar enough with troubleshooting problems and do you have a
good enough understanding of how packages migrate down to deal with issues
in the unstable branch? Are you currently running "stable" or "testing"?

Go for it, you have nothing to lose and lots you can learn on a machine
dedicated to test OSs.