Re: Installing Sid

On 2009-04-20 16:59 +0200, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> I am planning to install Sid on a test machine.  I may set up a dual or triple
> boot with other distros I want to look at, so being able to control the
> partitions is important.
>
> Googling, and searching the Debian site, seem to suggest that the best way of
> going about this would be to download a daily build of the installer and
> install from it; then immediately after installation, edit the sources.list
> to replace testing with unstable, aptitude update, (aptitude upgrade?),
> aptitude dist-upgrade.

Another possibility would be to install another system first and then use
debootstrap to set up a sid chroot.  With a fast network connection this
is often the fastest method, but you need to configure things manually.

> All comments and advice welcomed!

I would advise to have both sid and testing in sources.list, otherwise
large parts of the system may be uninstallable due to the many ongoing
transitions.  Things seem to have settled down somewhat in the last few
days, but I still have some 50 "obsolete" packages on my system...

Sven