sid misadventures

I had installed sid three times in all. The first was the most successful and longest lasting in which I had a few weeks to learn vbnc and use it a little. I did all of that since we're changing over to visual studio 2008 at work and I had been without projects for several years on the job and figured this might possibly change some things. The next two installations of sid happened with kernel upgrades. The second specifically offered a kernel upgrade and speakup upgrade and those two had a conflict so speakup was removed. When that happens without a backup accessibility system, it's time to reinstall Linux. The third installation of sid provided a different problem. This one happened with dpkg --configure -a but that only happened after a very slow boot up and the system running out of memory several thousand times and throwing errors. This happens on an amd with a gig of memory though I did use the speakup i486 kernel for that install (so much for conservatively). Additionally on boot up snd-seq module would not build correctly so that crashed. So I get root access and try running dpkg --configure -a and get the same snd-seq failure and dpkg --configure -a hangs there for several hours. End result, reinstall debian lenny. I may check backports.org archive for vbnc and see if that install will work. In all, it's been interesting. Fortunately this is not a production system.

After all of that though I figure maybe put something I figured out that worked nicely as a result of these misadventures. Debian being the way it is only installs necessary packages and not all available packages. Over time I have found certain additional packages I use and like to have on the system. So I figured this time to make me two files. One with a space separated database of additional packages with lines no longer than 60 characters done easily with fmt -w60 < root.1 >root.2; mv root.2 root.1. Next cp root.1 root.log. Then edit root.log with ex. Put a bash top line on it #!/bin/bash at top of file. Next 2,$s/^/aptitude -y install / and save the file. Next chmod 755 root.log in root directory then run that sucker. There is one caution about such a script I'll leave you with. Put nothing in root.1 until you've installed it successfully on your system! That way you only have installation questions to answer from inside package configurations and don't have to clean up any messes. The reason for line width of 60 is that all lines will be no wider than 80 once the aptitude prefix is added and I don't want to listen to scrolling lines since you can't be sure spaces don't separate last files on scrolled lines with first files on wrapped lines. Additional packages installation that took most of a week with this script and database took less than an hour once it was working. Use debian for long enough and you figure these things out. Use this install method if you like and hopefully it will make life better for you too.