[Solved] Re: related to mail servers, mta and mda

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a beginner's (no experience with setting up mail servers) query
> about MTA's and MUA's. I am trying to see if I can setup an mta or a
> related application on my Debian machine which is being run as a router
> for my home lan such that it can send email to an external email
> address. It does not need to receive any public email at all.
>
> I have already tried heirloom and I can send email to my gmail account
> if I put my gmail log in info in my mail's conf file.
>
> Now I am wondering if I can allow outgoing email (need to have port 25
> open?) with no need nor requirement to receive any in coming email from
> the WAN without having to use a particular email's log in info. The idea
> is that email from that machine (and perhaps from lan machines) may be
> sent to any valid email address with reply-to address changed to a fixed
> email address.
>
> Thanks.

Thanks everyone who responded.

I finally found a web page which answered all my questions, and then
some. The url is:
http://www.spencerstirling.com/computergeek/email.html

All I had to do was follow exim4's config prompts. I just had to specify
my ISP's smtp mail server as the smarthost I wanted to use. Apparently
my ISP does not require authentication on smtp to act as a smarthost. So
that was also quite convenient.

Since Exim4 uses encryption by default, I suppose I am okay in that
respect too.

I needed to make no changes in Exim4's config  files. However, I did
need to make the changes to fix the From and Reply-To address for each
user (otherwise the sending domain would be localhost.localdomain)[].
But since I wanted only one user to use this email system (sending
emails to various users externally), it was not much of a problem. I
just put the right lines in .muttrc to fix it:
# Set your "From" information
set from="my@some-email.com"
set use_from=yes
set use_envelope_from=yes

For mails sent out via scripts, I installed heirloom-mailx and used its
-r flag to fix the from address, like so:
$> echo "mail body" | mail -r my@some-email.com -s "mail config with
exim4" toaddress@some-email.com

Regards.

ever having been read.