Re: usb hard drive diagnosis

David Fox wrote:
<snip>
Hmm perhaps this is true, since I don't have any USB hard drive media,
but I would think they fall into two distinct types:

* flash (RAM) drives
* enclosures that are basically a standard sata or ide drive with a
power and usb cable added

 For #2 I'm not sure why you couldn't treat it more like a regular HD
except for the  USB part gets in the way (it's slower in terms of file
I/O through a USB bus instead of a more standard ide or SATA
connection.

But why wouldn't things like smartmontools work through the USB?

I've posted this before, but I have 2 USB HDD enclosures. I bought the enclosures and the HDD's separately and put them together myself. 1 with a SATA disk and 1 with an IDE disk. The latter I can get results with:

smartctl -t long -d sat /dev/sda -T permissive
smartctl -d sat /dev/sda --all -T permissive

The former gives me an error when I do that. Funny thing is that I can only get good results with Debian's (Sid) kernel:

hugo@debian:/$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Sat Jan 10 18:29:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

*not* with my own kernel of the same version. Never found an explanation of that either.

Hugo