Re: [OT] from LGPL to dual-license?

On 01/29/2009 10:32 PM, Jeff Soules wrote:
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
On 01/29/2009 05:27 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
[snip]
Still, that's much easier than building proprietary or dual licensed work
on top of GPL software.  The FSF's interpretation is basically that anytime
GPL licensed code is integral to the functioning of the larger work (dynamic
linking, static linking, IPC, *anytime*) the larger work must be licensed
under the GPL, effectively forbidding proprietary or dual licensed works
from being built on it.
Note that Linus doesn't agree with that idea, which is why, for example, the
nvidia driver is allowed.

I think I'm confused -- in that case, wouldn't Linux be the
larger work, and the driver be a work that's linked in?

Yes, but it's *dynamically* linked. Linus takes (or, at least, he took, the last time I cared to look) the position that dynamic liking is fundamentally different than static linking.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA