Re: ssh howto for debian?

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:00:37 +0000
Kevin Philp <kevin@cybercolloids.net> wrote:

> > A good package to install, to help with the brute force attacks is
> > fail2ban.
> >

> Even easier and better add the following to your iptables firewall.
> This monitors your connections to the ssh port and drops the
> connection if they try more than 4 connections in 10 minutes. I
> have been using this for a while - works a treat.

"Easier and better" depends on a lot of factors, including a person's
desire to edit, directly, their iptables files.  Some use Shorewall
(for which there are other solutions) or another firewall creation
tool.  For me, I appreciated the solutions found in fail2ban.

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

  --Jimmy Carter