Re: Exim4 with a Goddady account

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 22:30:09 -0600, Nate Bargmann (n0nb@n0nb.us) wrote:

> I've used the esmtp package with Mutt for years but have noticed some
> issues with GoDaddy's smptout.secureserver.net mail relay.  So, I
> figured I'd give Exim4 a try (it's the Debian default so it should be
> easy, right?  Heh, no).
>
> Things seem to be getting tripped up somewhere and after a couple of
> hours of reading the docs and trying to dig the depths of Google (with
> many junk leads), I'm remembering why I punted Exim in the first place
> (who's idea of a sick joke was Exim's inclusion into Debian anyway and
> as the default MTA no less?).
>
> Anyway, if there is no simple answer to getting Exim to play with my
> GoDaddy SMTP server, then I shall look elswhere.  For your amusement,
> here is the transaction when I attempt to force one of the frozen
> messages:
>
> exim -v -M 1LPq3H-00077w-MW
> delivering 1LPq3H-00077w-MW
> LOG: MAIN
>   Unfrozen by forced delivery
> R: smarthost for n0nb@n0nb.us
> T: remote_smtp_smarthost for n0nb@n0nb.us
> Transport port=25 replaced by host-specific port=80
> Connecting to smtp.starfieldtech.com [64.202.165.58]:80 ... connected
>   SMTP<< 220 smtpauth04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net ESMTP
>   SMTP>> EHLO merlin.n0nb.ampr.org
>   SMTP<< 250-smtpauth04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
>          250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
>          250-8BITMIME
>          250 PIPELINING
>   SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<>
>   SMTP>> RCPT TO:<n0nb@n0nb.us>
>   SMTP>> DATA
>   SMTP<< 250 Sender accepted.
>   SMTP<< 553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.
>   SMTP<< 503 You must send RCPT TO: first
>   SMTP>> QUIT
> LOG: MAIN
>   ** n0nb@n0nb.us F=<> P=<> R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<n0nb@n0nb.us>: host smtp.starfieldtech.com [64.202.165.58]: 553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.
> LOG: MAIN
>   Frozen (delivery error message)

Are you sure this is an exim-specific problem?  I know little about
exim, using postfix for my servers which talk to the outside world, but
this line:

"553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts"

.. means that smtp.starfieldtech.com will not relay for you.  Just
because the error comes immediately after RCPT TO does not mean that
n0nb@n0nb.us is what starfieldtech is objecting to.  You have an empty
MAIL FROM - is that the problem?  (You also have a non-resolving EHLO,
but that probably does not matter).

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.