Re: aptitude freezes after install

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:55:10PM -0500, microwaverich <richgrif@one.net> was heard to say:
I don't know if I'm "up to" it, but I'd love to give it a go.

  Cool.  Thanks!  Part of the problem is, it doesn't happen on my
computer. :-(

If I understand you correctly, I should try installing the above aptitudes (in reverse order?) and then installing some other package (any package?).

  Yes -- starting with the most recent ones, install each aptitude
version (just the ones I listed would be fine for now), then try
installing or removing some small package.  I use xsoldier for this
sort of test, but you can pick a different victim if you like.  The
goal is to find the most recent broken version (i.e., the one where
the breaking change was introduced).

    Thanks,
  Daniel

Well, I began already with a "Quicksort" type of approach: begin in the middle and work outward.

I went to http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/12/17/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/ and downloaded aptitude_0.4.10-1_i386.deb and tried installing that. I didn't see a k7 version, if that matters.

It told me I needed libcwidget1, as you said it might, so I went back and got that, and it seemed to install just fine.

Then I repeated the install of aptitude, and here's what it told me:

dpkg -i '///home/rich/downloads/aptitude_0.4.10-1_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
(Reading database ... 112547 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace aptitude 0.4.10-1 (using ..../aptitude_0.4.10-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement aptitude ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of aptitude:
 aptitude depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.6-6-4.6; however:
  Package libapt-pkg-libc6.6-6-4.6 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing aptitude (--install):
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for menu ...
 aptitude
RESULT=1

I don't see such a libapt-pkg ... in the Lenny repository.

I next tried installing the older version 0.4.5.3-1, but the installer refused to replace the 0.4.10-1 version due to dependencies with tasksel.

So I tried the newest one in your list: 0.4.11-2
It installed with no errors.

I invoked aptitude in a console and checked Help->About to verify that I had the 0.4.11-2 version.

Then I searched for kstars, selected it (+), and hit 'g'. aptitude advised of three dependencies it would load (e.g., kstars data) and that libcwidget3 would be removed. I hit 'g' and off it went. When it returned, it responded to commands and exited properly when I selected 'q'.

What next, Doc?