Re: Make it impossible for websites to style forms in Debian Blizzardhawk

Sorry for the late reply,

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote :
> Thanks for your response, Tom.
>
> 2009/1/6 thveillon.debian <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com>:
>> I happen to share your taste for dark themes, and I solved some of my
>> issues with SandDonkey in /usr/share/xulrunner-1.9/res/forms.css by
>> basically  hunting for
>>
>> background-color: -moz-Field;
>> color: -moz-FieldText;
>>
>> in the "input", "text area" and "select" fields
>> and replacing it with the desired values, like
>>
>> background-color: #ffffff; //-moz-Field;
>> color: #000000; //-moz-FieldText;
>
> So I do need to modify "system" files to accomplish this? It's not too
> bad to do so, but that means I'll have to be careful when the next
> update of Mozilla Seacrab comes along, because then I'll have to make
> sure that apt doesn't overwrite my modifications.

That's certainly not an ideal situation, and clearly not the kind of
fuss I would expect for just happening to like dark themes... But I
don't know any other trick outside of this one for the forms problem.

> Also, this specifies a colour, but do you know if it's possible to
> have a setting where they inherit the Gnome theme?

Well, it's certainly possible, but outsourcing the color scheme in a
Gnome theme somewhere in the user files (I'm running KDE) isn't
necessary simpler than looking at the colors in the Gnome theme, then
using them in the forms.css xulrunner file. As I said my css kung-fu is
pretty lame...

> I'm thinking I should probably ask my question in a more CSS-specific,
> Mozilla-specific location. I'll hunt around for one.

You would most probably have better luck there, but if they (mozilla)
didn't notice the problem already despite the enormous number of mailing
lists and forum posts about it, maybe they don't know a good way to fix
it...

> Thanks again,
> - Jordi G. H.

 While we're at it, here are the two other changes I usually make, this
time in user-land :

in ~/.mozilla/firefox/$(profile_number).default/chrome/userChrome
.css

this line permits to control the color of iceweasel's submenus :

menupopup > menu, popup, menuitem { color: red !important; }

Here the chosen color is red...

In the same location but file "userContent.css" I usually put after
whatever stuff is already there (this is compilation and variation from
"solutions" floating around the web) :

input {
border: 2px inset white;
background-color: white;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

textarea {
border: 2px inset white;
background-color: white;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

select {
border: 2px inset white;
background-color: white;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

input[type="radio"],
input[type="checkbox"] {
border: 2px inset white ! important;
background-color: white ! important;
color: ThreeDFace ! important;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

*|*::-moz-radio {
background-color: white;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

button,
input[type="reset"],
input[type="button"],
input[type="submit"] {
border: 2px outset white;
background-color: #eeeeee;
color: black;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

body {
background-color: white;
color: black;
display: block;
margin: 8px;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
}

This alone helps a great deal, it's the only way I found to get all the
buttons to display correctly with the text on it on many linux forums,
and some banks websites, and a few other things that just make web
navigation a pain...

You can also find links (not really, but in the body off the text you'll
find urls to the files) to some good css configuration files templates
on this blog entry : http://www.gomellow.com/?p=40

That's a lot of work for something that should just be couple of tick
boxes "dark gtk theme" and "dark firefox theme" in Firefox settings, but
it's the only way I've found so far.

Tom