Re: OT: laptop recomendations

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:45:09AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that
> will run linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a
> good build quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more
> important is good computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to
> be workable with the screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough
> ballpark. Good service is a must since it's a working laptop.
>
> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at
> best).  I also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on
> just about every continent (haven't managed to run into worse).
> Lenovo 3000 series also has a bad track run at our uni in terms of
> build quallity, no experience with the ideapad pad heard that they are
> not much brighter.

I will definitely recommend anything made by Asus. I own an Eee PC
(obviously way smaller and cheaper than what you are looking for), but I
have to say the build quality is acceptable. I've had the keyboard break
once, the touchpad buttons are crap (but this is acceptable since the
touchpad itself is slick to the touch and tap sensitive; it's gorgeous
in that regard)(also, my Eee is one of the original models, so the
hardware isn't as reliable as the newer Eees/higher end Asus laptops).

Other than that, the hardware is reliable. I've had no internal problems
whatsoever, and Asus' tech support is fantastic; they've given me no
problems (as I've yet to mod my Eee), and their techs are generally
knowledgeable.

> Thanks

Not a problem.

--