Re: LVM reorganization

On Thursday 2008 December 18 12:07:04 wauhugo@yahoo.com wrote:
> Is there really not one tool, which can print out the selections having
> been made during the "BASIC INSTALL" and which additional apt-packages -
> actually remain installed - probably from the logfiles - and which
> configuration files have been changed after installation or update of
> the package?

Nope.  At least, not that I know of.  There's also more than that to
rebuilding a system.  There's certainly a number of systems out there for
laying down a clean install with whatever packages you need, but not really
for preserving any custom configurations or data.

dpkg --get-selections and aptitude search '~A' are a good start as far as
having the same packages installed.  ISTR a debconf-get-selections and
matching debconf-set-selections that would do the same thing for anything
configured through debconf.  After that, you'd probably want to tar up any
files not managed by debconf in /etc /var and /home to get a complete rebuild
(though leaving out /var/tmp, /var/cache, and a few others shouldn't hurt).
Also, anything you have in /usr/local or /opt will need to be preserved since
official Debian packages don't put stuff there.

It's a big task, but something that could super-snapshot a complete Debian
system would be fairly useful.  Something that tied into FAI or d-i and
allowed (but did *not* require) a few hardware-specific tweaks to be done at
each deployment could be really nice.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))