Re: [Kind of OT] Why's this look like gibberish to me?

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 09:17:53PM -0500, Kevin Buhr wrote:
> "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:
> > wrong.  Lang=C.  I don't have any locales installed.  This is regular
> > stock VT (no fonts, etc).
>
> Well, let's put it this way.  Create a text file named "test.1"
> containing the following:
>
> .TH TEST "1"
> .SH NAME
> test \- it's elementary
>
> Now, run "man -l test.1".  Does your fontless, stock VT show an ASCII
> apostrophe or a little block?

ASCII apostrophy.  Both on stock VT with TERM=linux, and on my VT520
with TERM=vt220.

> If it shows an ASCII apostrophe, I would be grateful if you could send
> me the name of a stock Debian manpage that shows a block instead of an
> apostrophe (preferably with its owning package name and version, if
> you aren't using plain Etch).  I would very much like to track down
> the problem and file bug reports on the offending manpages.

I'll keep this email and send you any I find.

What about man aptitude?  Under Command Line Options, the first line, I
see:
... begin with a hyphen ("\fB-\fR")

And, under "The following actions are available", each heading has the
same thing, e.g.:

	\fBinstall\fR

I assume that these are for bolding, yet the normal bold things like
NAME in your example, and COMMAND-LINE ACTIONS in this man page are
bold.

the \fB and \fR are quite distracting to read.

Here's my env:

SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM=linux
TMPDIR=/tmp/user/1000
HUSHLOGIN=FALSE
USER=dtutty
MAIL=/home/dtutty/Maildir
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
PWD=/home/dtutty
EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi
LANG=C
DIALOGRC=/etc/dialogrc.colour