Re: Remove noatun also removes kde?

On Wednesday 2008 December 31 10:16:10 Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> pie-machine:~# aptitude remove noatun
>   noatun-plugins: Depends: noatun (>= 4:3.5.9) but it is not installable
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Remove the following packages:
> kde
> kdeaddons
> noatun-plugins
>
> Score is -463
>
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Completely normal.  kde Depends on kdeaddons; kdeaddons Depends on
noatun-plugins; noatun-plugins Depends on noatun.  Of course, the kde package
is not much (if any) more than a "meta-package"; it only exists to pull in
other dependencies.  The kdeaddons package is similar.

I run KDE and don't have either installed, instead I install the parts of KDE
I want without the stuff I consider "cruft": kontact, kget, kwalletmanager,
kmail, akregator, konqueror, knoqueror-nsplugins, konsole, *kfile*, *kio*,
kgpg, klipper, kicker, kompare, kdiff3, kcachegrind, kcalc, kmahjongg,
kshisen.  Their dependencies, plus those of the KDE applications I use that
aren't part of KDE: konversation, amarok, karbon, krita (actually, those last
two might be part of KDE...) pull in the Depends/Recommends/Suggests they
need and I have a system that just works.  There's probably a few packages I
left out, but that's most of them.  Sometimes I'll even go whole-hog and pull
in kdevelop and quanta, but I use (g)vim for most of that.

For people trying KDE for the first time or the first time in a long time, I
do recommend installing the kde package -- it'll pull in everything the KDE
project thinks should be part of KDE and give you a "full" experience.  If
you find KDE suits you, I recommend only installing the applications you use.
It saves download time and disk space, can save memory footprint, and might
even make upgrading easier.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))