Re: Old Seamonkey emails into new exim4 maildirs

David Witbrodt a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>   I was wondering if any email gurus are reading debian-user, and are
> willing to share some advice?
>
>   In the past, I used email client apps like Seamonkey to retrieve
> email from my ISP's POP3 server.  I tend to save a lot of emails, sorted
> into directories based on who-was-the-sender or what-was-the-topic.
>   This has left me with a large number of text files -- I assume mbox
> format -- on two old machines, which I used as my main desktop machine
> in different eras.
>   I have already backed up those mbox files, but I just finished setting
> up a home network with 3 machines -- one acting as smarthost for the
> other two, and which connects to my ISP's SMTP server on behalf of all
> the machines in my home network.  The local smarthost is using exim4
> (with Maildirs) and courier-imap to make my email available to all of the
> machines inmy network (regardless of which OS is running).
>
>   My question is simple:  is there a way I can give exim4 those mbox
> files from the 2 old machines so that it will move each email into the
> new Maildir setup, and without "sending" or forwarding them to the
> new machine.  (In other words, I would like to preserve the header
> info in its current state.)

There is no point to use exim for this.

google for "mbox to maildir" and you'll find tools to convert from mbox
to maildir.

with few folders, the easiest solution is to use IMAP: copy the messages
 to an imap account. but since you have many folders and many messages,
this will take a long long time.