Re: No sound on a Thinkpad T61 w/ ALSA and AS1984 sound card (redux)

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 06:25, Rob Starling wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 07:31:12PM -0800, Kyle Barbour wrote:
> > A while back (http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/01/msg02415.html),
> > I was having trouble getting sound  to work on my Thinkpad T61.
> > Although that was resolved and everything worked wonderfully, a few
> > days ago sound stopped working again, and I haven't been successful at
> > fixing the problem. Neither the internal speakers nor the headphones
> > produce any sound. The master volume and the PCM volume are on full,
> > neither are muted, and both the speaker and headphones are enabled.
> >
> > My sound card is an Analog Devices 1984 (AD1984) sound card, and I'm
> > running Debian Lenny (2.6.26-1-686 kernel) with ALSA 1.0.16. According
> > to thinkwiki (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/AD1984), this card should
> > be supported in the kernel and in the alsa driver in the versions I'm
> > using.
> >
> > lsmod | grep snd_hda_intel returns:
> >
> > snd_hdsnd_hda_intel         324248  2
> > snd_pcm                62596  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
> > snd                    45604  12
> > snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_t
> >imer,snd_seq_device snd_page_alloc          7816  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> > a_intel         324248  2
> > snd_pcm                62596  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
> > snd                    45604  12
> > snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_t
> >imer,snd_seq_device snd_page_alloc          7816  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> >
> > so it looks as though the correct module is loaded.
> >
> > I tried reconfiguring the sound card with alsaconf, which didn't fix
> > the problem, although it reported a successful status. Compiling ALSA
> > from alsa-source (using module-assistant) and manually loading the
> > modules didn't fix anything either (so maybe not an ALSA problem?).
> >
> > Some more information:
> >
> > $ cat /proc/asound/cards
> > 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> >                      HDA Intel at 0xfe020000 irq 17
> > $ cat /proc/asound/version
> > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
> > $ cat /dev/sndstat
> > Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.16 emulation code)
> > Kernel: Linux finnegan 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Mon Dec 15 18:15:07 UTC 2008
> > i686 Config options: 0
> >
> > Installed drivers:
> > Type 10: ALSA emulation
> >
> > Card config:
> > HDA Intel at 0xfe020000 irq 17
> >
> > Audio devices:
> > 0: AD198x Analog (DUPLEX)
> >
> > Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
> >
> > Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
> >
> > Timers:
> > 7: system timer
> >
> > Mixers:
> > 0: Analog Devices AD1984
> >
> > Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem?
>
> do you need the OSS stuff?  might it be that something is
> grabbing the resource there and hogging it?
>
> i also have a T61 and my /proc/asound/cards looks the same,
> [...]

Hi Rob.

Just a question, as I've poked my nose in on this thread.

Kyle's lsmod shows a module (snd-hdsnd-hda-intel) loaded. I can't find such a
module as existing.

would you post the output of lsmod | grep snd

Are you using the same 2.6.26 kernel as Kyle? The latest I've got on my Lenny
install is a 2.6.21, and I'm using an Audigy2 soundblaster card (emu10k1),
and sounds have always worked out of the box on this card. I do know though,
that there can be horrible problems with cards using hda intel.

Nigel.