SOLVED Re: DPT2044W SCSI adaptor with disk installed but no /dev/sd* devices created

Arthur Marsh wrote, on 2008-12-09 00:53:
lee wrote, on 2008-11-29 04:07:

Hm, I've always been using the kernels from kernel.org without
problems.

How do you make .deb's of kernel.org kernels under Debian (kernel-package, checkinstall, ???)

Arthur.

To make the DPT SCSI card work, I needed to make sure that module eata was loaded. So far, I have been loading eata manually using modprobe.

However, the eata module stopped working between kernel 2.6.22 and 2.6.23. (The site http://snapshot.debian.net had archived images of the kernel I could try).

I then obtained the git archive of the 2.6 linux kernel by installing the git package and git archive of the linux kernel from http://www.kernel.org, then performing a git-bisect to find the commit that caused the eata module to stop working.

By posting a bug report to the linux-scsi mailing list, the person who had updated the eata module previously supplied a patch (against the current version of eata.c in the linux source) which fixed the problem.

The patch is at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tomo/fixes/0001-eata-fix-the-sg-conversion-regression.patch

Regards,

Arthur.