Re: Hypervisor on an existing system?

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 18:48 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 22 December 2008, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote
> about 'Re: Hypervisor on an existing system?':
> >>
> >> qemu / virtualbox?
> >
> >Probably virtualbox-ose, but I'm open to ideas.
>
> Virtualbox, Qemu, and Kvm don't really have a hypervisor.  With any of the
> 3 your existing sid installation will be fine as a host.
I've also been toying with using virtual machines.  From what I can
tell, kvm requires hardware support (Intel's VT or AMD's equivalent).
Xen needs that hardware support to host non-Xen aware OS's (e.g.,
Windows), but does not need it for Xen-aware OSs.  I don't know if the
hardware assist has any advantages in the latter case.

I think that to run Xen you need to install additional kernels for both
the master (dom0) and hosted systems (domU).  There are many packaged,
though there are so many versions it's a bit confusing (e.g, there are a
xen and a xen-vserver).

All I really wanted was to run MS Windows to watch TV online and maybe
play games; I'm thinking maybe qemu is the way to go for that.