alsa and default sound input/output

Hi all,

I am using Skype and my webcam has an in-build microphone.

Is it possible that after hot-plugging the webcam, the default
microphone (input) is from the webcam? But at the same time the default
sound output is still to the on-board sound-card (i.e. laptop speakers)?

At the moment I have to change the settings in Skype manually.

I tried to look into /etc/asound.conf but I could not find proper
documentation how to configure it. (Is it actually the correct place to
look?)

Best,

Rob de Graaf