From: Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>
Subject: Re: creative xmod sound card
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 1:52 PM

You have to use "aplay -L" (which is the same as "aplay
--list-pcms") to
get a list of the known PCM names.

> However, this is what I get now, same as before:
>
> arc@tosh:~/música/JoanManuelSerrat$ alsaplayer -d Xmod Benito.ogg
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM Xmod

I think you are using the wrong device string; AFAIK, it has be a known
PCM name (see above). For example, on my system the correct alsaplayer
device string of the built-in Intel sound card is
"default:CARD=Intel";
"Intel" or "HDA Intel" do not work.