Re: duplicate mail logs

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:05:28 +0100, Sven Joachim (svenjoac@gmx.de) wrote:

> I've just noticed that my MTA logs into both mail.info and mail.log:
>
> ,----
> | %  LANG=C diff -s /var/log/mail.{info,log}
> | Files /var/log/mail.info and /var/log/mail.log are identical
> `----
>
> This is on sid with postfix as MTA and rsyslog as syslogd.  Since I
> didn't change the default configuration for these logs AFAIK, this seems
> to be a bug.  Anyone else seeing this with a different MTA and/or
> different syslogd?
>
> I'd like to file a bug report, but don't know which package to blame.

I am seeing the same running postfix on Lenny.  I have never touched any
logging options AFAIK.  I don't think this is 'new' behaviour:

gaia:/home/bob# ls -la /var/log/mail* | egrep '\.log|\.info'
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  508733 2008-12-10 10:15 /var/log/mail.info
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.info.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.info.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.info.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.info.4.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  508733 2008-12-10 10:15 /var/log/mail.log
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.log.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.log.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.log.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.log.4.gz

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.