Does Pirated Windows Install on New Hard Drives?

Hi,

	I was trying to install a copy of Windows XP that I downloaded in
'06 onto my friend's mom's laptop computer, but it wouldn't take.  I bought her a
new hard drive (Seagate, 80GB) so that she could have more space.  However, when I
try to install the OS, I get an error message.  I can't remember it exactly, but it was
something about an NT dll error within a subdirectory of the System folder.

	The OS copy that I have installs just fine on this computer, but it's on a
hard drive from back in '06.  So, have hard drive manufacturers put something on their
hard drives now that prevent pirated Windows installations?  Or, is it that I just have
an outdated copy of Windows?  I wanted to know 1) so that I don't sound too much like a fool
when I have to explain this and 2) for increasing my knowledge.  Thank you.

--
VR~
	TW